Delicious Chocolate Rum and Raisin Torte Serves 8-10 Total cooking time approximately 40 minutes Ann says: “My son is a complete chocoholic and this is his all-time favourite. It is simply delicious, a very indulgent treat for chocolate lovers.” Ingredients: For the torte 75 g raisins 75 ml dark rum 100 g of butter, cubed […]
Delicious Chocolate Rum and Raisin Torte
Total cooking time approximately 40 minutes
Ann says: “My son is a complete chocoholic and this is his all-time favourite. It is simply delicious, a very indulgent treat for chocolate lovers.”
For the torte
- 75 g raisins
- 75 ml dark rum
- 100 g of butter, cubed plus extra for greasing
- 200 g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 4 eggs free-range if possible, separated
- 100 g caster sugar
- 55 g plain flour
- 85 g ground almonds
For the topping
- 250 g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 200 ml of double cream
- 3 tbsp of dark rum
- Strawberries, for decoration
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Place the raisins in a bowl; pour the rum over them and leave to soak overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C / 180C fan-oven / Gas mark 6. Grease and line the base of a 20cm (8in) round, loose-bottom cake tin with parchment.
3. Place the chocolate in a bowl, set to melt over a saucepan of simmering water and stir gently until smooth. Gradually stir in the butter until melted then remove from the heat.
4. Beat the yolks and sugar until pale, then stir in the chocolate. Sift the flour over the chocolate mix; fold in along with the almonds and the rum-soaked raisins.
5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold in the chocolate mix, pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes. Leave the cake to cool for about 10 minutes and then remove it from the tin.
6. While the cake is in the oven, prepare the topping. Place the chocolate pieces in a large bowl. Heat the rum and cream together in a saucepan until just boiling, pour over the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
7. Cool the mixture for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to achieve a good icing consistency.
8. Spread the chocolate icing over the top and sides of the torte, then decorate with strawberries and dust with cocoa powder.