To operate as part of a team in carrying out general farm operations within Kildalton College on all farm enterprises, including educational activities with particular responsibilities for tractor driving activities such as spraying, fertiliser spreading and corn drilling.
Kildalton College offers QQI accredited Level 5 and 6 courses in Agriculture, Horticulture and Equine Studies both full time, part time and through distance education. Kildalton has close links with Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) and University College Dublin (UCD) with students attending the College to study production modules. All courses require extensive technical and practical training to be provided for students.
The college farm consists of 159 hectares and plays a key part in student training and skills development. The farm enterprises consist of a dairy unit, suckler cow unit with all progeny finished, a calf to beef unit, tillage unit and sheep unit.
The College Horticultural unit comprises of a commercial nursery, a sports turf area, 16 hectares of established gardens and woodlands for amenity horticulture and 4 hectares of fruit and vegetables. The equine unit has over 50 horses on site during term time for student learning on the equitation and stud management courses.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out day to day operations on the college farm.
- Tractor driving operations with large scale machinery.
- Sprayer, fertilizer spreader and slurry operations.
- General animal husbandry and monitoring of animal health and welfare.
- Milking the dairy herd.
- Setting up of temporary fences to implement the grazing plan.
- Calving and lambing supervision.
- Calf rearing.
- Maintaining Biosecurity and Biodiversity around the college farm.
- General farm maintenance and fencing and plumbing.
- Assisting with college events and open days.
- Supervise placement students and external contract/agency farm staff as required.
- Assisting with research measurements as part of on-farm research projects.
- To fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of oneself, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations, including full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
- To assist management and administrative staff in achieving good governance and risk management through co-operation and adherence to administrative procedures and practices.
- To assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service charter and action plan.
- To actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes
- To carry out other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- To assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service Charter and Action Plan.
- To actively participate in the annual business planning and Performance Management Development System (PMDS) processes.
- Fully co-operate with the provisions made for ensuring the health, safety and welfare of themselves, fellow staff and non-Teagasc staff and co-operate with management in enabling Teagasc to comply with legal obligations. This includes full compliance with the responsibilities outlined in the Safety Statement.
- Such other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
* This job specification is intended as a guide to the general range of duties and is intended to be neither definitive nor restrictive. It will be reviewed with the post-holder from time to time.
|Qualifications||At the time of applying, candidates must have
|Other||As this role will involve driving vehicles, candidates must satisfy and continue to satisfy during employment with Teagasc, legal requirements to drive a car unaccompanied on Irish public roads.|
Note: The ‘essential’ qualifications, knowledge, skills and behavioural competencies outlined above are ‘must-have’ which will be used in the selection process.
Note: Alternative location(s) may be considered solely at the discretion of Teagasc management
For further details and to apply visit: https://www.teagasc.ie/about/opportunities/current-vacancies/