Makes about 12
These savoury scones are great with slice of vine-ripened tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and coffee.
- 450g/16oz(1lb) flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- small pinch cayenne pepper
- generous pinch of salt
- 110g/5oz butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- about 200ml milk
- 50g/2oz grated mature cheddar (optional)
- 8 semi-sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 8 pitted black olives, roughly chopped
Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan-oven/Gas mark 6
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl with a generous pinch of salt. Add the butter and, using your fingertips, lightly work until the mix resembles dry breadcrumbs. Stir in the grated cheddar, semi-sun-dried tomatoes and olives. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and just enough milk to moisten (you want a reasonably dry mixture). Gather into a ball and turn on to a floured surface. Roll lightly to a 1.5cm thickness, cut out as many scones as you can with a 4cm cutter and bake in the oven for 18-20 mins, or until cooked.