One of the champions of primary education in 19th century Ireland is to be commemorated in Carlow today.
Born in 1786, Bishop James Doyle of Kildare and Leighlin was a major local, national and international figure who developed the church and schools in those parishes.
He campaigned for the seasonal hedge schools in Ireland to be replaced with year-round primary schools for children with trained and regulated teachers.
He also laid the foundation stone for Carlow Cathedral in 1828, and was the first professor of rhetoric in Carlow College.
At 1.45pm today current bishop, Denis Nulty, will unveil a plaque to him in the college which will be followed by a lecture on ‘Bishop Doyle and Irish Education’.