Roasted Ham with Cloves, Chilli, Orange and Lime
Takes 3 hours, plus approx 30 min cooling
- 2 kg/ 4lb 8oz Country Style Ham
- 2 oranges, studded with cloves
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 4 bay leaves
- 20 cloves
- 6 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Irish mustard
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 large red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- juice and grated zest of 1 orange
- juice and grated zest of 2 limes
Preheat the oven to 200C / 180C fan-oven / gas mark 6
1. Place the ham in a large liddled saucepan with the clove studded oranges, onions and bay leaves. Add enough cold water to cover the meat. Over a high heat, bring the water to a rapid boil, then turn down the heat, cover the pan and simmer gently for 2 hours.
2. When the ham is cooked, take the pan off the heat. When the ham is cool enough to handle, transfer to a chopping board. Trim off the skin, leaving the white fat on the meat.
3. Spread the mustard over the ham, then stud all over with cloves. If you’ve cooked the ham in advance, wrap in foil and put it in the fridge overnight.
Mix the sugar and 2 tbsp water and drizzle over the fat. Transfer the ham to a foil-lined roasting tin with about a cup of the shock in the tin and roast for 20-25mins. Mix garlic, thyme, chillies and orange and lime juice and zest and scatter over the surface of the ham.
Cook for a further 10 mins. Serve slice with cranberry sauce.
You can buy this ham in a piece already cooked and proceed as above from the 3rd section.